BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Skimming

When I was in Penang, behind the famous (because I was staying there... hahaha) Naza Hotel, the 2nd International Penang Skimboarding Competititon was on. Now, I know that many of you are probably hearing about this sport for the first time so let me try to explain this sport to you.
Unlike surfing, skimboarding doesn't require you to swim into the sea and catch this huge wave (which you can't really find in Malaysia for my non Malaysian and non Singaporean readers... hahaha - broadening the readership people, broadening the readership! We will take over the world one day! Muahahahaha).
Skimboarding (or skimming) is a boardsport which involves riding a board on an outgoing wave.

So how does it go? Unlike surfing , skimboarding starts on the beach. The skimboarder stands within running distance from the point of entry into the water with the skimboard in hand and waits for a wave. As the desired wave approaches the skimboarder runs towards the water.

These are some of the shots professionally taken during the competition:


Ok, now for some of the shots I took with my Cyber Shot from my k770i. Hahaha. Sorry, the pics won't be as good. I couldn't possibly go in too close to the skimboarders. I had no pass! Hahaha.



Hahaha. Better stop embarassing myself with this mindless comparison between a pro cameraman with a pass and a good camera and an amateur with no pass and a camera phone.
Ok. Here's some videos that I will attempt to upload for the first time:

Sorry, this is the best that I could do! Oh yeah, did I mention that a Channel [V] vj was in the same hotel as me? Yeah, a Channel [V] vj was living in the same hotel as me! didn't make a big deal out of it anyways!

So there you have it; an explaination on why you see some of the guys carrying a board in Malaysian and Singaporean beaches when obviously there's no surf to ride on... they are actually skimming! *Light bulb * light bulb

0 comments: